1. Can I apply for admissions to IITs through JAM 2013 using an application form or any other method apart from the online admissions website?
No. You must apply for admissions through the online website.
2. I forgot my registration number and application number which are needed for login. What should I do?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
We will verify this information and send you your registration and application numbers. If you wish to call our office, do so however we will still need to verify your identity through an email with the above information.
3. I started applying for admissions without getting my demand draft ready. Is this OK?
Please get your demand draft ready before starting to apply for admission as information about the demand draft number will be entered by you during the online application process.
4. I am eligible under the OBC-NCL category. Is there any information that I need to know?
Please send an OBC-NCL certificate in the valid format shown in the JAM 2013 brochure along with your application materials. If you do not send a valid OBC-NCL certificate, you will be considered under the General category.
From April 2012, Sociallyand Educationally Backward Classes-Minorities (SEBC-M) is an additional category under OBC-NCL. Please check whether you qualify for SEBC-M as defined in Clause (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992 by the Central Government of India [for SEBC-(M)] and as defined in Column 3 of the Schedule to the Government of India, Department of Personnel & Training O.M. No. 36012/22/93-Estt. (SCT) dated 08/09/93, modified vide OM No. 36033/3/2004 Estt. (Res.) dated 09/03/2004, or the latest notification of the Government of India, if applicable [for OBC(NCL)].
5. I would like to change some of the entries that I made in the online admissions website. Is this possible?
If you wish to change any information (e.g. email address, phone number, OBC (NCL) - Minority category) please send an email to email@example.com and a written request to Organizing Chairman, JAM 2013, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, NEW DELHI 110 016.
6. Since admissions are online, do I need to send a copy of my application form and options to the organizing institute?
You need to print out a copy of the pdf generated after choosing your programmeoptions and sign it. You also need to download the application form for admissions, fill it out and print out the completed form. Staple these two completed forms together along with the copies of required documents, your demand draft and send the entire package to: Organizing Chairman, IIT Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110 016. Do not send your documents to any of the other IITs.
7. I am interested in the MSc-PhD programmes at the IITs. If I am admitted to one of these programmes and wish to discontinue the PhD programme for some reason, am I eligible for an MSc degree?
If you are applying to the MSc-PhD programs at the IITs, it is expected that your interest lies in research and the PhD degree is your long-term goal. If for some reason, students are unable to continue for the PhD degree, then different IITs have different exit options.
At IIT Kanpur, transfer from the MSc-PhD dual degree programme to the MSc programme is not permitted. However, for students admitted to the MSc-PhD dual degree programme, MScdegree will be given after successful completion of all academic requirements for the first six semesters while working towards the PhD degree.
At IIT Kharagpur, a student admitted to the joint MSc-PhD programs will be eligible for consideration to take admission into the PhD programmeprovided the student obtains a certain minimum CGPA at the end of the fourth semester. Otherwise the student will have to leave with aMSc degree. A student may also on his/her own decide not to continue with the PhD programme and leave with an MSc degree after successful completion of all the academic requirements for the first four semesters.
For all other IITs, the policy for exit options, if any, can be obtained from the websites of the respective departments offering the programmes.